The Firm routinely represents clients in resolving contract disputes. We assist clients in preparing claims, providing advice of the client’s rights under the contract documents, providing notice of claims and reservation of rights letters, navigating close-out matters and equitable adjustment claims, and insurance and surety issues.
We handle all types of construction and construction-related litigation disputes, including but not limited to:
- Bid protests
- Mechanic’s liens
- Stop-work orders
- Change orders, constructive change directives (CCDs), T&M or force accounts, constructive changes and cardinal changes
- Termination (for cause or convenience)
- Cost overruns
- Differing site conditions
- Backcharges and setoffs/offsets/recoupment
- Scope of work and “reasonably inferable” work
- Liquidated damages
- Payment and performance bond claims (e.g., Little Miller Act)
- Prompt Payment Act claims
- Negligent design
- Construction defects
- Warranty claims
- Equitable adjustment
- Partnership or joint venture disputes
We have argued countless construction disputes in just about every forum imaginable, including state and federal courts, AAA arbitration proceedings, mediations, informal alternative dispute resolution channels and via direct negotiations. While our goal is always the same in every case – to deliver the utmost value and the most favorable results possible to our clients – we realize that because each case is different, each requires its own unique, customized strategy.
If you’re looking for a “one-size-fits-all” approach to litigation, you won’t find it at Coon & Cole. Conversely, if you want to work with lawyers who will take the time to learn about your business, your project and your particular dispute, who aren’t afraid to leave the comfort of their offices to get their boots dirty and attend a site visit, and who are passionate about the roles they play in helping their clients get projects built, welcome to our Firm – we’d love to work with you.